From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 13:35:54 PST
Alan Dudley wrote:

>It seems to me that the state of classical music education and performance
>is as much an indicator of the prestige of a country as is the quality of
>the aircraft that transport heads of government from country to country.
>People want their country to look good to the outside world.

I don't concern myself with superficial matters such as "prestige" or how
things "look" to others.  But, Alan does bring up the matter of public
involvement in the Art of music.  This is a subject I always seem to be
at odds at concerning the views of most other list members.  I don't see
classical music or any other type as being an appropriate subject for
public involvement.  If classical music can't make it on its own, it's
goodbye.  And, I say this as a person who would greatly lose out with that
scenario as much as most other classical music lovers.

Don Satz