From:
Noboru Inoue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 03:03:52 +0900
Jon Johanning wrote:

>Probably a large number of Japanese people, after WW II, felt that the
>traditional music was associated with the evil of ultra-nationalism, and
>that impregnating their nation's culture with the "best" of Western music
>would be a healthy step forward.  But if this means neglecting a very
>special product of one corner of the earth, it is a sad outcome.

I do not think the above tendency is in Japan at least.  Traditional
Japanese songs and instrument and music, though less popular than
western ones, also are staying.  In this point, I am an opportunist.

>Narrow nationalisms can be very destructive, as we can see on our front
>pages every day. But in music, I think, they can only give life, not take
>it away.

Nationalism and national music(?) have no relation I believe.  though the
national anthem is exceptionally unpopular in young people in Japan unless
used for Olympic game winners Nationalism may be very difficult in the next
Century to define especially in the scene of arts after Big Ban becomes a
fact, since we can deposit with Euro/Dollar/Yen...  and buy CD's with
Euro...

In these era, music to be survived will survive if it so deserves,
and falls if not.  I do not think traditional arts Japanese or Chinese
and wherever must be supported necessarily by Japanese or Chinese
peoples/nations and so on, instead may be supported by other countries and
areas.  As Sumo or Judo championship may appear wherever on earth....  No
one can have complain of course that so-called western music may have an
affinity with Japanese peoples.

Lastly, do not worry about the life of Samisen music, which you like.  It
will be taken over by young generations and never die, I assure.

"Noboru Inoue" <[log in to unmask]>