From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 12:59:49 +0100
Roger Hecht inquired about Tate:

>How are these? I've heard Tate conduct Elgar live, not on recordings.

I am afraid they are the only recordings I have of the works but I am
ENTIRELY convinced by his performances.  I suspect it would be difficult
to find such a good 'In the South' anywhere else.  Falstaff is great fun,
isn't it!

>>Enigma - Barb/Halle
>
>If you see the one with JB on EMI, try it.  There's so much dispute between
>these two, I'd be curious as to what you think.  As I've said many times,
>I prefer the EMI.

This one is on EMI.  Which is the other?

If I get Caractacus I am probably going to end up with another anyway.

I don't know exactly what it is that has given me this Elgarholism but
I don't seem to be able to get enough of it at the moment.  I must have
listened to Sea Pictures about 20 times.  I am definitely going to see it
at the Festival hall in early July where Hickox will be conducting it along
with the Second Symphony (He is also doing D of G).  It will be a post-A
level treat - anyone who doesn't live near London is severly missing out
on life IMHO!  Anyway, with regards to Elgarholism, this tends to be the
case with me and many others that I have talked to - that you tend to get
obsessed with one composer for long periods then abandon him and rediscover
it all again later.  I have definitely had a Mozart phase, a Bach phase and
a Mahler phase, trouble is I didn't have enough dosh to see those all
through properly so I have really awful performances of Mahler symphonies
by the Radio Symphony Orchestra Ljubljiana etc.  I indend to chuck them
when I can get some good ones - they were only $3 a CD, after all.

Does anyone else on the list have periodic obsessions?

David Stewart