From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 13:21:07 EDT
On the subject of Zubin Mehta, Robert Clements wrote:

>Unfortunately - as SS pointed out in a somewhat different context - _great
>conductors_ are defined by their work in the Germanic orchestra mainstream,
>which isn't at all his mezzoforte....

FWIW I have a recent Sony recording of Mehta conducting the BPO in Ein
Heldenleben which I have really enjoyed.  I know that he has recorded a
fair amount of Strauss in the past.  My only point is that Mehta and the
BPO might not be a bad combination.  Personally I suspect that they are
itching to get Rattle.

I recently read an interview with Chailly where he pointed out that the
Concertgebouw liked to hire relatively young conductors.  I think this
approach has kept the Concertgebouw fresh and perhaps the BPO needs to do
the same.  As much as I admire Haitink or Gunther Wand, I think that the
BPO needs somebody that will be able to really devote a good 10 years to
the ensemble.  Where is Blomstedt working these days?

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)