From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:03:54 -0700
James Tobin wrote:

>. . . on its way to my car radio, I heard something I would have
>felt compelled to call the station about, if I had not caught the
>announcement, because of its sheer beauty.  It turned out to be Brahms
>Four Songs for Women's Chorus, 2 horns and Harp, Op. 17, performed by
>the Kansas City Chorale (on Nimbus NI5524).  It may have been hearing this
>that precipitated my reading of the Brahms biography I just reviewed here.

That is one excellent group.  My first encounter with them was the same way
- they mesmerized me in my car.

>splendid, to my ears.  (The others are Nativitas and Fern Hill.)

The Nativitas is the one I heard and bought immediately, online.  It was
the 'Silent Night' from 'Three Carols, Op.20 arr.  by Kevin Oldham.
Gorgeous.

>They are a professional choir.  Choral music is not usually one of my
>chief musical interests, perhaps because so much of it is church music,
>but with the exception of Two Motets, these works are very much earthly
>songs (Doug Purl take note, if you are still tuned.)

It's one of my musical interests, live, with instruments, but I don't
buy choral music (except when they are Purcell's Funeral Odes (!) much;
however, these stand out.  Exceptional singing.

Have you heard Chanticleer do Biebl's "Ave Maria"? An all-male chorus but
what a beautiful sound they make in this piece.  Many of us love the piece,
but I have to admit it can sound like "barbershop meets at church" and,
knowing this, I still love hearing it.

  - A
http://www.andrys.com/books.html
  Search Classical CDs, Sheet Music, Videos