From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 19:50:36 -0500
Yale Professor Leon Plantinga has written a scholarly new treatise on all
the Beethoven concertos - the five piano concertos, the violin concerto,
the triple concerto, some other minor concerted works - in language that we
can all understand.  Musicologist though he be, he writes clearly, does not
use arcane musicological terms, and tells us things we didn't already know;
for instance, he explains in detail how Beethoven uses orchestration as a
part of the overall formal plan.  The sections on 'form' alone are worth
the price of the book (W.  W.  Norton, ca.  US$50).

A separate booklet has a plethora of examples set in music type for those
who want to 'hear' what he's referring to in the larger text.

How can we ever thank W. W. Norton for the marvelous books on music that
they have published over the decades?

Scott Morrison