From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:50:07 -0400
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Walter Meyer ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>
>>While we're talking about CD playing times, I'm now going through the 11-CD
>>set of the Shostakovich symphonies on Brilliant, that I ordered from
>>Berkshire.  It's hard to complain about a set costing US$1.99 per disk plus
>>shipping and handling, but...
>>
>>Symphony No. 12 occupies a CD all by itself using up 37' 07" of playing
>>time.  ...
>
>Hard Walter? Ungrateful would be the word I'd use.  Or perhaps churlish?:-)

Perhaps less so when it's realized that these supplement other recordings
of each of those symphonies that I already own, viz., No. 12, by Haitink
(w/ No. 7 on the same CD), No. 14, by Haitink (w/ settings of poems by
Tsvetaeva) and Rostropovich (who takes the work at over 50 minutes), and
No. 15, by Haitink (w/ settings of Jewish folk poetry).

But gift horses and all that....

Walter Meyer '48