From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:40:15 +0000
Richard Pennycuick writes:

>I usually note playing times in passing when I read reviews, and my
>impression is that Philips, DG and the others that don't deserve to
>be called the "majors" any more, are being increasingly parsimonious
>in terms of times on new releases - there are exceptions, of course.
>Am I being unfair?

Not at all.  My two most recent DG acqusiitions are Pollini discs of solo
piano music by Schumann.  If I remember correctly, one disc is under 60
minutes and the other under 50 minutes.  With Pollini, DG routinely puts
out short discs, but I buy them anyways.  If I want a particular recording,
I'll take it no matter what the total music time might be.

Don Satz