From:
Pablo Gamba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:28:46 +0000
Gerardo Constantini has written about an ethnomusicologist that:

>like to make a "transcriptions" of musical of the standard Occidental
>repertoire in order to play it with "native"(folkloric) instruments.

By the way, here in Venezuela there is a school of experimentalists that
are making very interesting fussions of CM and our folklore, that is the
very opposite of what this ethnomusicologist is doing or has done.

Paul Desenne, a cellist in the Orquesta Sinfonica Municipal de Caracas
has written a few pieces for ensembles like flute, oboe, violin, cello
(played mostly pizzicato) and our national instrument, the "cuatro", an
small four strings guitar.  He has also written a trio of cellos inspired
in the "quitiplas", an afro-venezuelan percussion instrument consisting
just on a set of small pieces of wood that are played striking the floor.
In this pieces there is a lot of pizzicato and strikes of the arco, and a
lot of rhythm.  If there is anybody interested in this kind of music, there
is a CD called "Tocatas Geleonicas", that I guess is still available at the
local Musicarte label (Phone:  582 979 5511).

There are two other CDs that fit as valuable "samplers" of this king
of music:  "Canto aborigen", pieces for harp (Marisela Gonzalez), flute
and "maracas" (Luis Julio Toro), available through the Universidad Simon
Bolivar (Phone:  582 906 3157 / 906 3163), and "12 cuentos para 2", pieces
for flute (Toro) and guitar (Ruben Riera), available through comala.com.

Pablo Gamba