From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 14:31:34 -0500
Jeff Dunn wrote:

>Now, as to which hearers are best able to judge the prospective
>immortality of a particular work (assuming immortality is a signal aspect
>of greatness), we could get into a fine debate, perhaps involving Charles
>Rosen's concepts of elitism.

I know my blood pressure would rise in that debate!  As I've hinted
before in this list, good writing skills and/or good education don't
necessarily translate into good music listening "skills".  My impression
of music critics is that they know how to quickly form opinions and
elaborate on them.  Opinions can sometimes get in the way of listening --
i.e.  it's hard to listen (to music, or anything else) when you already
have an opinion.

That's my opinion,

Mike