From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:33:09 -0400
Ron Chaplin asks

>>I wonder if you would explain a little more about what tension-release is
>>in music.

Mike Leghorn explains:

>I use the term "tension-release" to refer to the way most "modern"
>Western music has a build up of tension, and a resolution of the tension.
>This pattern occurs on multiple scales, small and large.  For example,
>on the small scale you have harmonies that become "tense", i.e.  the ear
>wants them to resolve.  When a song ends on a cadence, the harmony goes
>from a tense state to a resolved state.  The I-IV-V-I harmonic sequence
>encapsulates this (The song "Hear & Soul" uses this sequence).

SORRY, Mike.  The song "Heart and Soul" (and "Blue Moon" too,) use the
sequence I, VI, II, V ...

Pick another song for your demo!

>An example of the larger scale is Beethoven's 5th Symphony.  The first
>movement is full of conflict, and the last movement is a resolution of
>the conflict.  Disclaimer:  this is just my opinion.  I'm not an expert
>on the subject, and I don't know if you'll find this in any text books:-)

Almost any Good Ol' Fashioned Elementary Harmony text book will discuss
traditional classical harmony, and probably this concept of tension -
release will be at the beginning of the discussion.

Mimi Ezust