From:
Kim Patrick Clow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:23:39 +0000
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote in reply to my question why was
Phillips letting the Complete Mozart Edition to go out of print:

>it's just the normal market forces at work, not some harbinger of
>classical music doom.

I just was surprized they are letting it happen. The CDs were mid budget
priced anyhows, there would always be a market for a new set of consumers
interested in Mozart you would think. I thought with the re-release of
Amadeus into theaters and DVD last year, that would help do that. Maybe
I'm wrong in that assumption.

Could be too that some of the recordings that they used in that series
were already over 25 years old. Now with the ten years since the CDs
were released, they are even more dated. Hence Phillips allowing this
to just go out of print.

Thanks for your input.

Do you forsee any Complete Haydn project by any of the major labels? I
have my doubts any such project would see the light of day.

Kim Patrick Clow