From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:28:02 -0700
Martin Pitchon ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I think that if Chopin had composed for orchestra his destiny would
>be different.  But in the other hand, his music was romantic...  How may
>piano romantics became famous? Not so many but if they only composed for
>the piano is much worse.

At the time: Liszt, Thalbger, Kalkbrenner, Henselt, and a whole bunch
more.  A bit later: Rubinstein, Rachmaninov.

The 19th century was, in many ways, *the* age of the pianist as romantic
hero.  Today they are largely forgotten, except for those whose music
was truly worthwhile and of these, Chopin heads the list.  His music is
arguably more pianistic than that of any other composer and while his
range may be narrow, it runs very deep.

Deryk Barker