From:
Matthew Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 16:16:37 +1000
A recent posting about Schoenberg's "Moses und Aron" reminded me of a
question I have been wanting to ask all of you.  I recently started to play
the mandolin for the two professional orchestras here in Brisbane on the
rare occasions that they have required it.  Due to this I did some research
as to what music there was for orchestral mandolin.  I found the following:

Mozart - "Don Giovanni"  Deh vieni alla finestra (this is where it all
started for me)
Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet
Respighi - Roman Festivals
Korngold - "Die Tote Stadt"
Mahler - Symphonies 7 & 8 and "Das Lied von der Erde"
Schoenberg - "Moses und Aron"

I also read that Verdi's "Falstaff" and "Otello" and Donizetti's "Don
Pasquale" (although the productions of F & DP done here used guitars) have
mandolin but have been able to find evidence of such.  I also recall a
Stravinsky piece (possibly Agon) but can't quite remember.  I am interested
to know if there are other works with mandolin.  Any new information or
confirmation or otherwise of the above will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
in advance.

Matthew Gillett