From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 19:33:52 PDT
Bob Draper wrote:

>During the recent discussions about Mozart even his ardent supporters have
>suggested that he worked within forms whereas Haydn was the inventor of
>forms.

Were those Government forms? (I couldn't resist).  Seriously, why are we
continuing to pit these two composers against one another? Each of us has
our preferences - they aren't going to be changed through external means.
Many of us like and spend money on both composers, and we do it to enjoy
both of them.  That's ENJOY, not CRITICIZE.  Haydn was more innovative than
Mozart? I already know that.  I also know that great composers and works
transcend their forms, so the issue of "form" is a secondary one.

First, Bob was criticizing Mozart's music.  Then, he was saying kind things
about Haydn.  Now, he's using Haydn to criticize Mozart again.  And, it's
all in the name of serious analysis.  Does this have an ending?

Don Satz