From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:55:46 PDT
Patrik Enander wrote:

>Have you heard the new Andnes recording?  I heard it's excellent.

The Andnes recording is very good; nothing I've heard from Andnes is
anything less than excellent.  But, based on what I look for and want
from Haydn's piano sonatas, Brendel and Schiff get the nod from me.

This theme of what you are wanting from a work or composer was recently
highlighted by Bob Draper's comment:

>The little jokes and surprises are softened by Brendel etc. but
>Jando hits them head on.

Bob is noting and appreciating the "jokes and surprises" in Haydn's piano
sonatas.  I don't really even notice them at all, and don't want to.  So,
if Brendel is softening those aspects of the piano sonatas, that's all to
my listening benefit.

Bob also mentioned a few other Haydn piano recordings.  I'd just like to
favorably mention Mr. Ax whose two Haydn cd's on Sony get my unreserved
approval.  He's not in the Brendel/Schiff mode, but he employs an energy
and pacing I like very much.

Just one more note about my feeling that Brendel and Schiff interpret
Haydn similarly.  I was reading a review in Gramophone, and that reviewer
never mentioned any similarities, just differences.  Different ears,
brains, emotional make-ups: each of us is unique.  But, why can't more
people be like me?

Don Satz