From:
Glenn Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 12:36:19 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I'm not sure which Haydn symphonies Glenn means, but I'm assuming NOs
>93-104.  There are two Philips Duos of Frans Bruggen's versions with the
>Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century which might have been released in
>preference to Davis's.  I'd been hoping the Haydn Sinfonietta of Vienna,
>whose exhilarating collections of Haydn overtures I've much enjoyed, would
>record some symphonies and thought the Bruggen sets would be the next best
>thing.

Actually, I was referring to the others symphonies (I have all 12 on duo)
like No.  91, 92, 82, 83,??--do not know all the numbers but I think it
is enough to fill 2 CD's worth.

If they(phillips) know that certain ensembles-work combinations are
popular, why not do the rest of the works even if it does not fit neat
caterories like The 12 London Symphonies.  I also have the Italian Qt on
2 Duos (the late works).  Again, I do not want to invest in all the works
in a complete set, so why not start putting his early to middle sets to
put aside the late works on the duo series.  I am not so naive to think
they(Phillips) do not know these issues, and it obviously comes down to
money as the bottom line.  I do not know how or why this particular
marketing strategy functions, though I thought maybe it has been on
their timetable to do it sometime in the future.

Glenn Miller