From:
Len Mullenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:06:28 +0100
October on Classical Music on the Web (UK) www.musicweb.uk.net
Editor Rob Barnett

This month in uploading files to the server the link to the October reviews
was mistakenly uploaded which meant they became publicly visible before
they were complete.  100 of you discovered this.  If you were looking for
the scrolling scripts to print out they would not have been there so you
will need to visit again.  Equally many of the reviews and sales links for
the purchase of the CDs were not in place.  They should all be there by
next week.

Tony Duggan has completed his survey of the recordings of Mahler's second
symphony, Richard Adams has a survey of Vaughan Williams' ninth symphony
and Gerald Fenech discusses recordings of Nielsen's second symphony.

For British Music enthusiasts we review the ClassicO disc of Holst
including the Cotswold Symphony and the Hyperion double album of Ireland
songs.

Rob Barnett takes a retrospective look at Beulah's releases of the Collins'
Sibelius symphonies and the Campoli recordings.  He also welcomes an
important premiere recording of Roy Harris' 8th and 9th symphony from
Albany Records as well as three discs form the BMG Musica Non Grata series.
We greet the start of the Hyperion Shostakovich Quartet series with The St.
Petersburg String Quartet..  We are planning a more detailed look at the
available Shostakovich String Quartets for next month.

World Music sees Gerald Fenech listening to Northumbria pipes, Malcolm
Galloway listening to contemporary marimba music from Japan and Peter
Grahame Woolf, having returned from the Ediburgh Festival, has been
attending a course on the Hindustani Raga.

We have received some discs from the latest issue of EMI's Great Recordings
of the Century.  These will appear en bloc next month but as I receive them
they will be immediately linked to the page on that series at
http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/groc/aug99.html

Seen and Heard has been at the Proms for Swayne's Havoc and Richard
Strauss.  Your attention is also drawn to the Beethoven Quartet cycle at
The Space (St Paul's Arts Centre) presented by the Archeus Quartet and
taking place over the next few days.

WHAT'S NEW http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/whatsnew.htm

David Wright's article on what defines a great composer was as
controversial as I predicted and I have appended a number of your mailings
to the article.  These have been posted to David and his reply will appear
in due course.  In the meantime you can get your teeth into his biography
of Quincy Porter and Paul Conway on Ian Parrott.

Ian lace discusses whether Korngold and Herrmann will be counted among
the Giants of 20th Century Music and we welcome Stephen Barton who offers
a guiding hand for those who aspire to composing for Hollywood.  The Film
Music CD Reviews will be along in a few days.

Next Month we will be helping to Celebrate the Chandos 20th anniversary
with a review of at least 20 discs.

Len Mullenger
Music on the Web (UK)
http://www.musicweb.uk.net