From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:51:05 PST
Bernard Gregoire wrote:

>Given the fact that repeats indicate a certain lapse in the creative
>process or just plain laziness on part of the composer, I see no
>problem in editing repeats from certain performances.

When I was a youngster, my dad used to tell me that repeats were so
prevalent in rock music because there was insufficient musical imagination
to fill up 2 to 3 minutes of music.  He probably had a point there,
particularly in rock's early years.  But, isn't it just possible that the
use of a repeat is considered by the composer to advance his/her musical
argument and/or goals? I know that, for me, the first repeat in the aria of
Bach's Goldberg Variations always has a meaning and gives me a feeling very
different from the inital rendering of the theme (at least in a great
performance).

Don Satz