From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:59:16 -0400
Edgar Beach wrote:

>This afternoon, my local radio station broadcast a rather spirited
>performance of Miklos Rosza's music for "The Red House".

Interesting coincidence! I just saw this movie yesterday for the first
time, on a library video! A lot of the score was standard histrionics,
but there was a "Woods at Night" theme with skittery flute over brooding
background that really blew me away. Like Eric Dolphy playing over
Tapiola, if such a thing sounds possible. Does this score exist on CD?
To answer Edgar's question:

>I am wondering, have the composers and/or arrangers ever taken a film
>score and retructured it in symphonic or sonata form, thereby allowing
>it to stand on its own.

The first thing that comes to mind is Vaughan Williams' 7th Symphony, which
arose out of material he wrote for a film, about Scott in the Antarctic.

Jon Lewis