From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:15:27 -0400
Don, if you go for Ciccolini I'd recommend the 2-for-1 price EMI 2cd
rather than his later survey, because the later ones are programmed each
to a specific Satie "genre" (i.e.  a whole disc of his Rosicrucian music,
a whole disc of his humorous pieces, a whole disc of the early works, etc.)
and this makes them a little tedious to listen to all the way through;
whereas the programming of the earlier set is much more varied and
intelligent.  Almost all the really worthwhile pieces are on the 2cd
anyway-- a lot of the obscurities on the broader survey are really
unbearable, and I'm somebody who adores Satie at his best (Avant-Derniers
Pensees, Sports Et Divertissements, Pieces Froides, etc).

Also, Berkshire Record Outlet is offering a Complete Satie Piano Works set
for, I think, $15.97, played by France Clidat, which apparently won the
Grand Prix Du Disque.  I've been meaning to pick that up for a while now.

Jon Lewis