From:
Arnold Bosman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:52:26 +0200
Thank you, Don, I find your appreciation of Tureck's performance spot-on.
Being an ex-student of her's I didn't want to stick my head out, as it
were, for fear of seaming biased, but honestly I chose to study with her
exactly because I appreciate those qualities which I couldn't have analysed
better than you did.

Of course, her's is a very personal style of interpreting, but one that is
immediately identifiable (of how many pianists can one say that?) and yet
permits the listener to get to the heart of the music, being guided by
some-one who dedicated a lifetime of study to one composer's works.

I somewhat naively asked her why she decided to perform only Bach, to
which she answered: 'Because in Bach's music there is everything'.  Today,
twenty years later, and after having studied 400 years of music, I am still
inclined to agree, not that I regret having made myself acquinted with so
much music, but because every work of art somehow illuminates and explains
the greatness of Bach.

Arnold Bosman