From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:56:41 -0700
Stirling Newberry ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Ligeti's music is most forcefully used in 2001 in two places: the
>discovery of the monolith, and the voyage through the stargate.  The first
>divides humanity from knowing we are alone, to knowing we were visited.
>The second destroys an semblence of being able to believe that thi is an
>Odyssey through normal space towards normal ends.  These are the facts,
>says the music.

I had forgotten the use of the Requiem in the initial Encounter in the Dawn
sequence.

However, the use of Ligeti's music during the scenes set on the moon
disproves your theses.  The Lux Aeterna accompanying the moon bus journey
- I fail to see where the "transformation" is there - and the reapperance
of the requiem just before the radio transmission, again I fail to see the
transformation.  This is *not* the discovery of the monotlith, BTW, that,
like the action in a Greek drama, takes place offstage.

As for the stargate, you are entitled to your opinion, but I think Kubrik
there was showing us that an alien civilisation and its infrastructure
woould appear so strange to us as to be incomprehensible ("any sufficiently
advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic").

Deryk Barker