From:
Johan van Veen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:11:36 +0200
Fabrizio Lippolis wrote:

>I am new to this list, so a big howdy from Italy to everybody!  I am
>especially interested in music from the middle age to the baroque.  So, at
>the moment I would like to ask if somebody can suggest me a good recording
>and execution of Handel's Wassermusik and Feuerwerksmusik.
>
>I would also be curious to hear something by John Dowland, any good
>recording to suggest, too?

Just a quick reply.  There is a complete recording of Dowland's works by
the Consort of Musicke of about 15 to 20 years ago (Decca), but still
worthwhile.  When you want some single discs I would recommend:

- Lachrymae or seven Teares with Hesperion XX (Jordi Savall) on Astree

- songs and instrumental pieces with Boston Camerata (Joel Cohen) on Erato
(interesting because of the use of original pronunciation)

- First Book of Songs with John Elwes on Pierre Verany or Rogers Covey-Crump
on BIS

As far as Handel is concerned: Watermusic with Academy of Ancient Music
(Christopher Hogwood) or Concentus musicus Wien (Harnoncourt) on Teldec;
Fireworks Music with the King's Consort (Robert King) on Hyperion (the
original version, with wind instruments only).

Johan van Veen
Utrecht (Netherlands)