From:
Johan van Veen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 07:31:25 +0200
Patrik Enander wrote:

Deryk wrote:

>>Oh yuck!  Sorry, but I really can't stand the Gardiner, it's as profound
>>as his Missa Solemnis (i.e., for me, not at all).
>
>Your comment made me smile: Two nights ago I listened to Gardiner's
>version for the fist time.  After I while I all of sudden asked myself:
>....  but isn't this rather shallow? One piece, I can't remeber which,
>made me think about a sewing machine, perfect rythm but dead.
>
>I don't remeber if it was on this list or the bach-list I was member of a
>year ago, that there were a fair amount of Gardiner-bashing.  He is anyway
>a long way from my favourite Herreweghe.  I have unfortunately nit he his
>"Mass".  His new ome on Harmonia Mundi got fairly bad press.  Has anyome
>heard it?

I have heard this recording.  I haven't read all the reviews, but I
myself have written one for a German magazine, and I was quite negative
as well.  This new recording has a lack of passion and a lack of contrast.
The legato-approach smooths everything out and takes the edge off the
piece.  Furthermore some of the soloists are out of place, in particular
the soprano Johannette Zomer (she doesn't match with the other soloists)
and the bass Hanno Muller-Brachmann (whom I admired very much in Telemann's
opera Orpheus).  Even the famous tenor Christoph Pregardien sounds
uninspired.  The second soprano Veronique Gens is allright, without
being outstanding.  The alto Andreas Scholl sounds fine, but is a little
superficial, in my view.  Only Peter Kooy is relyable and convincing as
ever.  The whole recording is rather flat and dull, as if no one really
believes that the recording is worth making.  I can't recommend it to
anybody.  Unfortunately I haven't found a wholly satisfying recording so
far.

Johan van Veen
Utrecht (Netherlands)