From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:18:42 PST
Within the past two weeks, I've ordered from Music Boulevard the Ries
symphonies on CPO, Schumann piano trios on Hyperion, Finzi clarinet works
on Naxos, and the 6th symphony of Vaughan Williams on EMI.  All were placed
on a 30 day backorder category.

While at Borders today, these 4 discs were in stock.  As much as I wanted
to pick them up, I'm committed to sticking it out with the MB backorder.
Have any of you experienced this type of bad timing?

To make matters worse, I received in the mail four days ago the 1st
symphony of Ludolf Nielsen on Dacapo.  Yesterday I received the same disc
through the mail.  At least it didn't come again today.  I looked at my
past orders and, sure enough, I had ordered it twice.  I gave my extra copy
to a co-worker, the only other person in my building at work who has any
passion for classical music.  Over 200 college educated folks at work, and
only two of us are classical music lovers.

I also gave her the Marriner Art of the Fugue and Musical Offering;
although I had given this disc plenty of opportunity to "melt" in my car
with the Albuquerque sun, it's just too early in the year for those type
of results.  My co-worker was elated as she's a big fan of Marriner.
It always feels good to give pleasure.

I think the folks in my building are a good example of how there can be
no significant increase in classical music fans unless the definition of
classical music changed dramatically.  They mainly like pop and country
music and will have none of that "boring" and "stuffy" music that I like.
There was a co-worker who had expressed an interest in the Brandenberg
Concertos and asked for my advice.  The next time I saw him I asked if he
had purchased a set.  He replied that he decided to get the "greatest hits"
of the Carpenters; this man has two Masters Degrees and a PHD.

Don Satz