From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:48:58 +0100
Nick Yasillo wrote:

>Great Britain (the source of more rock bands per square kilometer than
>anywhere but the U.S.) seems to be having problems just like everyone
>else supporting its symphony orchestras, while, in Japan, the demand for
>tickets to a touring Chicago Symphony Orchestra concert (always sold-out
>in Japan) may fetch ticket prices 4 to 5 times the (already very high)
>prices we pay in Chicago (where a 80% full house is a good night).

Yes inceed.  This comes right back again to the theory about music in
schools.  The average middle class child in Japan, China and Korea is
expected tp learn something at least about classical music at school,
not necessarily because the parents are musical, but because it is seen
as one of the attainments that "nice" people have, like speaking a foreign
language, playing sport, doing math etc.  Many children learn an instrument
for the mental agility if not for the music.  There's nothing freaky or
abnormal in liking classical music, it's just part of life.  Perhaps
because these are societies where learning is cherished.  Whatever, there
ois a social and political understanding that music is ipart of life not
something to be knocked as elitist, so there's commitment to funding
music in schools.  Parents want the bgest for their kids, and if "the
best" is percieved to include music, they'll go for it and vote in the
politicians who support it.

Look at many orchestras - Korean players, Chinese and Japanese.  Both
native born, mixed race and second generation.

Anne