From:
"Nicholas J. Yasillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:37:36 -0500
Jane Pierce wrote:

>Why in Europe and Britain is classical music so popular and
>Japan so pop music/ r and r oriented?

With all due respect, I'd question Ms. Pierce's perceived ethnic
stereotypes.  Great Britain (the source of more rock bands per square
kilometer than anywhere but the U.S.) seems to be having problems just
like everyone else supporting its symphony orchestras, while, in Japan,
the demand for tickets to a touring Chicago Symphony Orchestra concert
(always sold-out in Japan) may fetch ticket prices 4 to 5 times the
(already very high) prices we pay in Chicago (where a 80% full house
is a good night).

The reality is that "classical" or "serious" music only appeals to a
tiny minority of the general population of any nation.  We are not even
a "niche" market by most entertainment standards, and the market share
is shrinking.  This is just as true in Japan as the U.S. or Europe and
is reflected in the lack of recording contracts for major symphony
orchestras, and the need for emerging (classical) composers to self-produce
or find other independent means to have their work recorded at all.

Nick Yasillo