From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 06:04:36 +1100
Miguel Muelle on Khachaturian's Spartacus:

>I don't know that I need the complete ballet, although I suppose that
>might be worthwhile.  I would like a lush, more Romantic version, alla
>Barbirolli, but have no idea who has recorded this piece.  Historical
>is fine, so long as it's not scratchy 78 sound...  Suggestions?

I'm pretty sure that Algis Zuraitis's mid-1970s complete version with
the Bolshoi orchestra was released on BMG-Melodiya and there should still
be some copies available - I'm not sure what, if anything, BMG's doing
these days with its CM back catalogue.  The recording, which I know from
my LPs, is very forward and closely-miked as Soviet recordings of the
period were, and it suits the music.  Failing that, there are two Naxos
CDs: 8.55081 has three suites from Spartacus, 8.55082 has another suite
and excerpts from Masquerade and Gayaneh.

Incidentally, what appears to be the Melodiya version of Gayne/Gayaneh
conducted by Janzug Kakhidze on Vox was recently on offer from Berkshire
Record Outlet for an irresistible $3.98.  The recording has the same
characteristics as the Melodiya Spartacus.

Even more incidentally, the TV series from which Miguel remembers that
stately theme was The Onedin Line.  I think the Onegin Line was nothing
to do with ships!

Richard Pennycuick