From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 16:05:49 -0500
A correspondent from the UK writes the following in response to my query
about Bejun Mehta's current activities:

He is indeed singing as a counter-tenor.  I heard him at the Wigmore Hall
last year, when he replaced David Daniels at a couple of weeks notice in a
programme of Handel and Scarletti.

Mehta has (I think) been singing as a counter-tenor for less than two
years.  I think I remember reading that he saw the light when he read about
David Daniels' conversion experience, at the hands of his analyst no less,
in the New Yorker article in November 1997.

His technique is amazing, considering how long he has been singing, and
his voice is solid, quite Anglican-sounding if you know what a mean -- a
very polished falsetto baritone, completely unlike Daniels' contraltoid
fullness.  And his performance is "intelligent", full of insight into the
rhetoric of the words and music rather than physically expressive.

Again, quite unlike Daniels whose voice can express anything even if the
rest of him runs the gamut from A to B.  (Miserable and sort of all right,
roughly.)

I think he has a couple of recordings out as a counter-tenor.  He sang in
a Handel opera (Partenope I think) at Glimmerglass in 1998, and at BAM this
year.

Scott Morrison