From:
Steven Belanger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:06:34 -0400
Kevin wrote,

>This may be a touch off topic, but I have been reading an excellent
>novel which I recommend to my music-loving colleagues. Vikram Seth's "An
>Equal Music" ......

Well done, Kevin, you beat me to it!!!  I just finished the book last
night and I was going to offer the very same recommendation to the members
of this list!  I very much second Kevin's comments, although at times I
felt as though the author was trying much too hard to be "musical" in his
choice of words.  By that I mean that there were several passages of what
one might describe as "flowery" prose -- too flowery in my opinion.  That
being said, I was extremely impressed not only by Seth's knowledge of
repertoire, but also of his accurate portrayal of a musician's temperament,
and his often humorous interpretation of the dynamics within a string
quartet.  Thank you for the tip about the Decca release, I had no idea it
existed.  It will make my search for the Op.  104 that much easier!

Steven Belanger
La Scena Musicale
http://www.scena.org