From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 13:07:40 +0200
Donald Scarinci writes:

>Does anyone have an opinion about which artist has done the best recording
>of "The Planets." I'd like a fully digital version done with 20 bit
>processing for the best possible sound quality.

Hmmm, why only settle for 20 bits? The latest electronics manage atleast
24.  8^) Honestly; little has the number of bits to do with the sound
quality, and why loose out on a musically briliant recording that only
have a 98% sound quality?

I dont know about their bit rate, but the two musically best recordings of
Holsts planets issued during are; Sir Adrian Boult with the LPO recorded
in 1977 or 1978, well atleast being his last commercial recording, released
by EMI [CDM 764748 2], this is the best realisation of Holst score, no
contest.  The only other recording that closely approch Boults are the one
by Yan Pascal Tortielier and the BBC Philharmonic, Manchester featured by
BBC own Music Magazine issue No. 1 Vol.  V 1996 (Backissue still availible
AFAIK).  The composers own 3(?) recordings are intresting documents, but
neither approach Bould or Tortelier musically.

Go for the music!

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DSCH 100 (1906-2006)