From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:25:39 +0200
Achim Breiling aks:

>Does somebody know anything about the Soviet composer Mikhail Nosyrev

I wrote the latter part of this as a review, I have since listened to the
first two symphonies as well and my feelings about Mikhail Nosyrev, is that
if You enjoy Shostakovich, Vainberg, el. al. dont hesitate.  A find for
the russophile!

   Mikhail Nosyrev - Symphonies 3 & 4, Olympia OCD 653

   Based on a recomendation on another list I bought a CD with music by
   Mikhail Nosyrev, I felt urged to hear Nosyrevs music much because
   the writer described it like in the tradition of Dmitri Shostakovich.

   Nosyrev was born in St. Petersburg in 1924.  He thrived, studying
   violin until Stalins purges slaped him in the face in 1943, apparently
   he was betrayed by his teacher, hence MN was centenced to ten years
   of Gulag imprisonment.  Nosyrev kept up his studies during these
   years and there became intrested in composing.  After having served,
   he returned to a professional life as conductor in several regional
   cities ending up at the Voronezh opera, localy He was held in high
   esteem.  Until his arrest, Nosyrev was a member of the orchestra
   playing on this CD, His works include 4 symphonies (all to be released
   by Olympia, concerti for violin, cello ans piano, 3 ballets, 3 string
   quartets and several other chamber works.  Mikhail Nosyrev died in
   1981 only 57 years old.

   These are my first impressions after hearing the Olympia CD of his
   symphonies no's 3 and 4 [OCD 653] played by the Academic Symphony
   Orchestra of the St. Petersburg Philharmonic Named after D. D.
   Shostakovich (its quite long official name, as not to confuse it with
   the regular Philharmonic orchestra of the same institution and city),
   conductor - Vladimir Verbitsky, SQ is nice modern digital, much better
   than from the average Olympia Soviet Composer release:

   After my initial listening I noticed that these two symphonies are
   penned differently.

   Starting with no 3, the impression is that it is firmly with in the
   scope of a good post WW2 soviet symphony, closely connected to to
   what We expect from fx.  DDS.  The symphony is well crafted but I
   cant say that it really has that little extra, that "zing" that lift
   it beyond craft and in to the sublime.  Its like I recognise the very
   elements used to build it far to well, hence it do not surprice in
   either musical or formal terms, its just the kind of likable music
   You would enjoy if You appreciate the bulk of music composed by
   Shostakovich and other composers of DDS coincidence.

   The 4'th to me is a different venture, I do not hear much DDS
   influence here, the music thrives more on the kind of sparseness I
   associate with the music of the later Galina Ustvolskaya (don't know
   if there was a connection betwen them?).  Its building stones are
   fewer, emanating from rythm, building on contrasts from the piercing
   four triangles it starts with to creshendi of timpani.  But where
   Ustvolskayas form is almost compressed, Nosyrev lets his elements
   flow with in a more lengthed form (35 mins vs.  GU's that never run
   more then 10'), Where Ustvolskaya is violently searching, Nosyrev
   only unleash that fitting interference - To me the fourth is the
   more interesting of these symphonies, mostly becuse it strikes me as
   unpredictable, really forcing me to listen in to the musical universe
   it creates - still being new to the music I can't say anything about
   its longevity, but its taste begs me to lament that the composer died
   within a year of its completion aged 57; one wonders if He wrote more
   music in this sparce style.

   The orchestra (incidentally, the "other" St.  Petersburg Philharmonic)
   and the conductor Vlad.  Verbitsky performs amirable and the sound
   is 3.5 stars.  The music of Mikhail Nosyrev is a rewarding escapade.
   I will follow every new release of his music on CD with anticipation.

peter lundin, gothenburg.se