From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2013 04:01:45 +0000
"If the molecules were changed in the processing then they would no longer have then same effect. Process chemists choose conditions carefully and deliberately to maintain chemical structure and consequently function."

I think I wasn't clear enough. I was saying that purifying the active ingredient changes the originally identified "natural product" because other compounds in the original source....commonly referred to as "impurities"...are removed through purification, and those other compounds may distinguish the activity of the "natural product" from the purified one.

"Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid. As I understand it, willow bark, with all the extra natural products, caused diarrhea when consumed in quantity."

This was the point I was trying to make.

I also wonder who was consuming willow bark in quantity......

Christina