From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2013 15:00:49 +0000
Pete said:

"The fundamental difference between organic and synthetic pesticides is not their toxicity, but their origin—whether they are extracted from natural plants, insects, or mineral ores or are chemically synthesized. "

I believe the definition of "organic" is flawed....I think it needs to go beyond simple "origin".  If it requires a factory to extract, purify, and concentrate a product from a plant or a mineral, it is no longer "organic" IMO.  There is evidence that the nature of the product changes dramatically, IMO, when it is manipulated to that extent.  If you buy a tincture, or a dried plant, or a straightforward "pressing" of the organic matter, there is little change from the natural concentration and efficacy of the active compound.  In that  near-original state, one usually also gets some trace amount of additional substances that aren't considered to be "active" but might in fact (probably do) have some synergistic effect with the principle chemical of interest.  Also the concentration of the active compound is usually quite low compared to a "purified" product.  When minimally processed, I think we can still apply the word "organic" and even "natural".

However, when a chemist figures out that willow bark's active ingredient is salicylic acid, and then manufactures the compound in the lab and offers pure salicylic acid for sale, it is difficult for me to see that as "organic" or "natural" anymore.  Now it is simply "aspirin".

Christina