From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2013 05:32:34 -0300
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ5riRX1_3w&feature=youtu.be

One comment on the program:

We recently had some disagreement on the bee-l discussion group on whether
or not Dr. Jeff Pettis believes that pesticides have a role in bee
decline.  He clearly stated in this video that he thinks that they DO.

He did not say that that they are the cause, and I think most of us will
agree that they are not the direct cause.  But if they have a role,
wouldn't it be prudent *precaution* to remove that stress?

Another:
Near the end Mr. Adee talks about America turning into a sea of corn and
soybeans (both are systemically treated).  As Jeremy rightly pointed out
recently, it does not make economic sense to plant untreated seed, even if
you can find it.  But clothianidin has a longer half life than
imidacloprid.  It means that a lot of bees are contantly receiving very low
doses.  Why did Bayer move from imidacloprid to clothianidin?  One would
think that they would be looking for something with a shorter half life.
Was it because of insect resistance to imidacloprid?  Or was it just that
the patent on imidacloprid had expired and now the Chinese are producing a
large quantity?

My apologies in advance.  I am aware that some on this list are tired of
the subject.  I am also tired of it (23 years tired).  But I am more tired
of inaction on the problem.

Stan