From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:40:30 +1000
On 12/04/2013 9:51 PM, Peter L Borst wrote:
> Article in Forbes magazine:
>
>> Australia presents the most striking dilemma for those isolating their attacks on neonics. On a per crop basis, it is one of the world’s heaviest users of the pesticide -- and has among the healthiest bee colonies in the world.

No varroa as the article says is a plus.  Whilst it is hard to speak for
the whole industry, I think it is true to say, at least for the eastern
states that we would only spend about 4-6 weeks at the most on
agricultural land.  This would be spring build and we then move to honey
flows on either forest or perhaps grazing land.  So the likely exposure
to insecticides is much reduced.  There have been kills, they just tend
to be an individual or an unusual event. There has been a problem at
times with drift from aerial spraying of cotton.

Geoff Manning