From:
Robin Dartington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2014 22:54:25 +0000
Mark Berninghausen wrote:>I think we have found out what the members want. At least what enough of the members who feel showing up is worthwhile.<

From the outside , this statement suggests another key flaw in EPSHPA management - sorry, but I hope all this comment is helpful. You should never ask what people want, but what they need. The difference is crucial. I personally want the sun to shine every day and my bees to produce lots of honey. What I actually need is suitable clothing to work in the weather we have and enough informed advice on how to keep my bees healthy. Parents ask children what they want for Christmas and then provide what the children actually need at their stage of development. A touch authoritarian?  Yes, but necessary.

A comprehensive survey of EPSHPA members would ask:
1. What are your aims?  (That would let responses be sorted into hobbyists, sideliners and commercial.)
2. What support do you need in order to achieve your aims?
3. How much of that support are you obtaining at present and from where?
4. What additional support do you think ESHPA could provide directly or should try to influence others to provide?

Then, to show that ESHPA is working in the public interest, the survey should be extended to environmental groups, gardening organisations and others who are interested in maintaining sufficient pollination within NYS - pollination being the main public service provided by bees and beekeepers.

Analysis of the survey would provide a mandate for action. That could lead to the first step, a clear statement of the public interest needs for specific services such as education, training, outreach, down to swarm collection - and even regular monitoring of the general state of health of honeybees in NYS through a properly conducted apiary inspection service!  Which is where we started!

How would such a survey to be funded?  In UK by approaching one of the major charitable trusts interested in general public education and/or the environment.   You have many such trusts in the US surely? But first you might have to change your masthead to show you are a public interest body.

Robin