From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 23:35:16 -0400
Greetings,
     I hadn't posted anything in a while, but I saw this topic come up
recently, and just had a disscussion with someone about the difficulty of
introducing Russian Queens to established colonies.  I was talking to a
well known and respected West Coast queen producer about this the other
day, and I was told by them that there seems to be better acceptance of
Russian queens if they are introduced to an established colony in the
fall.  It has appeared on this list before that there was concern that the
queen pheromone may be different enough for an established colony to
detect. That was also their conclusion as well.  My question though would
be why they would be more likely to accept Russian Queens in the fall?
Possibly the prospect of running out of time before a new queen could be
reared?  Books tend to lead us to believe that Spring requeening is best,
but are there some types of queens that may be accepted better in the fall?
Scott