From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 23:35:48 -0500
Greetings all,
     My bees have started to create a bit of a problem for the owner of the
land on which I have an outyard.  He installed a hot tub a couple months
ago, and the bees have begun to frequent the tub on a regular basis.  The
odd part is that they are finding a way in under the cover.  When he
uncovers the tub, he says there is a hundred or so drowned bees.  He says
this doesnt bother him, but I dont want it to become the kind of problem
that would cause him to want me to move the bees.  I cant figure out why
they would be attacted to the water under the cover.  There are 2 ponds
that are about 30 yards away from the hot tub.  The hot tub is brominated
and ionized. I am wondering if the bees are being attracted to the chemical
composition of the water, since they have to crawl in under the cover to
get to it. Anyone seen this before, and any suggestions, short of moving
the bees? It could be like the owner said, winter is over, and the bees are
enjoying the benefits of the hot tub as well!  Happy beekeeping!
Scott