From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2017 11:14:42 -0600
A few weeks ago we got into a long discussion triggered by goldenrod protein levels dropping to around 12% from 18%,  without rehashing that whole thing in detail.  You may recall  I was not convinced it was an issue.

This lead tome picking out the only piece of what I viewed as relevant data that I have seen,  to which I was reminded not to cherry pick.

Well  My theory was based on the simple concept of all other livestock and animals where elevated protein levels in feed can cause severe problems  ranging from dysentery to death.  Unfortunately not much data on it as it applies to bees.

Towards that 2 things,   First yesterday I got a chance to converse a bit with Dr. Dale Hill on some of the details of that discussion.  For those who are not aware Dr. hill has been writing in ABJ lately,  and teaching with Professor Bromenshenk.  His knowledge helped develop AP23.

I asked Dr. Hill  what he thought the protein levels the bees would need for fall,  and with no hesitation he said 4-6% should be more than adequate. Our discussion continued a bit along these lines to be sure,  but he also said that too much protein would/ does lead to increased nosema, and of course winter dysentery.  Obviously location and timing play into this,  as if they can defecate through out winter its much less of an issue.

He made a keen observation,  we are ostensibly worried about protein input (which was the basis for the "sky is falling" article)  when what we should be looking at is what is coming out unused.  Or in other words the actual bees needs.  He went on to point out some things about balances and ammino's that I will make no attempt to pass on,  as I will screw it up.   But I did find it very reassuring that his thought match what we see in all other types of livestock.

For Pete's benefit  I did ask if he had any references we could dig up,  and the answer was none he could share at least. So for the moment    its all I have,  but based on what else we don't have and some linear thinking,  it’s the best so far.

Secondly,  As I mentioned we were running 2 trial of around 400 hives each.  One beekeeper feeding protein all fall,  myself   Zero.  The other beekeeper is and has been experiencing large dwindle already in those hives.  So much he has already cancelled them for almonds.   So far  mine are not seeing that.  Distance is 30 miles apart.   It is a bit early to conclude,  but I figured I would add the info while I was typing.

Charles