From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2017 12:09:49 -0600
>> bees. But at the same time, I operated all doubles and switched to singles two years ago, and my "per hive" honey average increased.
Smaller hives actually increased my honey production.

>I've also observed that larger colonies have more problems with mites and resulting viruses. While a colony with 80,000 bees might produce more honey than two hives with 40,000 bees each, it won't matter much in year two if the 80,000 bee colony perished while the two 40,000 bee colonies continue plugging along.

110% agree here in my climate also,  singles are out producing doubles season after season now.  This was the last year to run any doubles for honey for me.  Giving them 2 deeps has been a complete waste of space,  with most hives being in the top box on 5/6 frames by mid July.  I wish I had learned it sooner!   Asingle with an excluder is working so much better here!

Funny conversation,  at the same time is this there is a facbook post with someone in particular crowing about how no one can do the math on mites in his hives as he runs 3 deeps with 18 frames of brood,  and varro pop doesn’t go that high!

In fairness  I have tried triples and unlimted broodnest,  and my nectar/pollen flows do not support it at all

Charles