From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 06:36:15 +0000
Diana, actually I was very much hoping to hear from you on this -
along with a couple of local experts.

Thanks for replying.

This started out to be personal reply, but I can see how this would
be of interesat to the list, and am replying to the list as well.

> >      Acarine is a definite possible
> >
> >      Varroa is not yet here (as far as we know)
> >

> > The questions:  What sampling should we be doing? (if any)
> >                 What rate of sampling should we use? When should
> >                 we sample? What methods should be used to evaluate
> >                 the samples?
> >
> > How thorough are they?  Do they mix samples up?  What should we be
> > considering in making a decision?
> >

> Allen: I feel somewhat qualified to answer your question since my
> research is on Tmites.

> If you want to sample yourself, do so now,
> as the fall approaches. Take a sampling of your yards, ie. collect
> around 100-200 bees in each yard, drone and older foragers if
> possible,

I hadn't heard about using drones.  Interesting.  Are they
particularly susceptible?

The number are important to us, because each sample represents time
spent examining the sample.  Commercial labs here charge $0.25 CAD
per sample bee. 100 means $25/yard.  200 means $50/yard.  We have 60
yards, so the difference means $1500!  That is - if sent to a lab.

Of course we can do them ourselves, but so far I have found it very
slow.

> and dissect the tubes under the scope. You can do this
> very quickly, just get a pair of jeweler's forcept and pull off the
> head and look down into the thoracic tubes.

Well, maybe I'm not doing it right, but I've found it pretty slow.  I
used windsheild washer antifreeze - as recommended by the firm who
did my sampling last year.  The bees were pretty tough for the first
few days and I had a bit of problem pulling them apart just right.

From what you say, I assume that you are saying just to look at the
first set of trachea and ignore the rest? - Just look for *bad*
cases?  Maybe I'm being too fussy and it is slowing me down?

I guess I should use ethanol or freezing.  You recommended freezing
last year, and I confess I havn't used it yet. The washer antifreeze
didn't seem right to me, because the bees died very slowly - not like
the instant death I would have expected in alcohol.  Does freezing
make them easier to pull apart correctly?

Moreover - adding to my confusion - a friend - the fellow who showed
me how, said that mild (beginning) infestations are often missed
because the mites are right at the spiracle, so that added to my
worries.

> IF the tubes are
> anything but pearly white, ie. tan, black or with shadows, you have
> Tmites.  You probably do anyway, since you tested positive last
> year.

I guess so, but I haven't found any.  I sent samples to lab and I
don't trust them.  They only gave me a verbal report and only after
I phoned them to find out what happened to my sample.

 > Treat with TM patties (extender patties) or just veg shortening and
> sugar patties.  I can send you my reprint of this work if you want. Yes,

I've read it, thanks and you say to put them on year round.  I guess
I should.

> Hope this helps.

Yes.

> Test for Varroa while you are at it.

You recommended putting the samples for tracheal tests into a jar and
freezing overnight, then rolling in the morning.

The varroa, if any, would stick to the condensation on the jar and be
seen - am I right?

The bees then should be ready for pulling apart to look for acarine.

I'm sorry to appear so dense about this - and I know this is easy once
you've done it a few times - but the first time or two, one doesn't
know what is important and what is not.

If you find mites right away, like we did in the samples at my
buddies place, then you know you're doing it right, but in my case,
we pulled a bunch of bees apart and found nothing.

I realise that is good, but not very rewarding from the point of view
of proving the techniques are correct :(

> Good luck
>
> Diana Sammataro

Thanks Diana, and I hope you can help me get over this learning
stage, and in the process give some insight to others on the list.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                    VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada  T0M 1Y0
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>