From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 08:14:22 -0600
Good morning Allen,

Sorry to hear that you have mites but I am glad to see that you purchased
a microscope.  I have found it to be not only a way to avoid commercial
sampling fees but a great way to get results quickly.  I have
occassionaly found a yard that was simply 'not right', so I take a few
samples and dissect them the same night.

Here are some tips I have found that have really helped me.

- get set up with a good light source if your microscope does not have
its own.

- I never pin down the bee.  Rather I hold it in my hand and move it
around to locate and focus.

- Get a REALLY GOOD pair of tweezers.  This is crucial.  Mine come from a
lapidary/jewellery supplier here in Edmonton.

- I, too, found menthanol makes the bees tough.  I located a source of
denatured ethanol which I mix 50-50 with water.  The bees die instantly
and dissection is much easier.  The only problem with this firm is that
they do not sell over the counter and sell only to established accounts.
If you are interested, let me know and I will pass the information
along.  I could also order some on my account and have it shipped to you
if you wish.  The minimum order was about 4 litres and 2 years ago this
was about $50.  However, it will last me for years and years.

I, too, am concerned about missing low levels of infection.  Since we
don't know much about the quality control at any of the labs, I suppose
the risk is there as well - although perhaps not as great as it is with
our inexperience.

It does take time.  Even packaging the samples and sending them off takes
time and I find that once I get rolling I can do about a bee a minute
although I find it exhausting to go for more than an hour or so.  I have
set up microscopes, equipment, radio, etc. in a spare room so if I bring
home a sample I can test it in relative comfort with little 'set up' time.

Good luck.

Oh yes, there was a suggestion that you put extender patties on in the
fall.  I tried this one year and the same patties were there in the
spring.  I also unwrapped to find a terrible mite problem.  If the
problem is severe I would recommend formic acid treatment as soon as your
honey is removed.

Eric Abell