From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 17:48:02 -0400
On 6/7/2010 9:59 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>>> Another plus, well it beats the smell after cleaning out a septic tank ,-)
>
> I am sure it does. :)
>
> If the smell of pine needle smoke on the clothes is an issue for anyone,
  inspect like I do - topless in short  shorts and sandals.

Good advice, and I agree, but in this part of the world I have to wear a
top, they are not big around here on women running around topless in
their yards.  I have learned not to put my hands on my bare knees after
handling queens.  The young bees come out and start patting and loving
on my knees, until a couple get squeezed by the hem of the shorts and
start stinging.

I very rarely smoke (sideliner so I usually have the luxury of picking
my bee yard hours.  I do put a ribbon of "pollen glop" (pollen sub,
syrup, and vegetable oil mixed to a paste squeezed from a bag like
icing) on each frame as soon as I go in.  Keeps them busy, spreads the
feed around, covers the tracheal mites, and doesn't start robbing or
become "honey".

A smoker test is required for beekeeper certification here in SC.
Because I rarely used one, and was usually working hives for the
demonstrations, it took me over 10 years to finish the practical and
become officially certified.  During that time I co-founded our 5-county
beekeeping association and served as president or on the board and got
teased lots for 'working naked' and not being certified.  They don't
tease about my bees, tho, our survivor mongrels are proving their worth
with no chemicals more and more every year.

Carolyn in SC

P.S.  I prefer barefoot to sandals