Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:22:42 -0400
In the discussions about essential oils and the papers on them one thing,
thanks to Diane Sammataro and Co. and Allens post, is apparent. Maybe we
have been looking at the wrong end of the problem. Most of the papers on EOs
look at the bee and the ineffectiveness of EO as a treatment. But the papers
on larva and long term bee health are on the first 21 days of the bees life.
I am drawn to the conclusion that EO benefits are from catching the problem
before it becomes a problem. Not from trying to cure the bee.

When you look at the way EOs are touted to "cure" virus and other problems
in a colony, multiple treatments are required. The ones who advocate the
effectiveness of the EO  treatments refer to the bee, so trials to confirm
that statement always prove that the EO is ineffective. EOs do not cure.

But the repeated treatments mirror the Sammataro study. It's the kids that
are being treated, the larva and pupa from a purely prophylactic point of
view. The multiple treatments slowly allow healthy bees to emerge over time.
Because EO is not a cure, those healthy bees will happen only if the
pathogen is at a low level, which is why some survive multiple EO treatments
and are "cured" or some are not. It has nothing to do with the bee but
everything to do with those first 21 days.

So the key, if my hypothesis is correct, is to start treatments with a
healthy, or relatively so, colony, which is counter intuitive. In essence
that is the selling point of Honey B Healthy, which has some enthusiastic
supporters. Keep healthy colonies healthy. Their formulation is probably not
correct for maximum benefit, based on the Sammataro study, but it is a step
toward that.

With Allen's post on the Russian study, I have moved toward the use of
Thymol and/or Oregano EO as a valid feed for maintaining the health of a
colony. Going to try it at the dosages used in the Sammataro study and see
what happens.

We are a bit beyond anecdotal and into good ground. We still do not know all
the issues, but it will be an interesting ride. Love to see if any
commercial operations use it and the results. Some must use Honey B Healthy.
Why not Thymol or Oregano EO? Cheap and easy treatments.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine