From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 06:53:58 -0700
Just a quick question, hoping for a quick answer.  It's almost Farmer's Market season and I have these questions tendered to me every year.  I'd like to be more informed.

By definition, what is "raw" honey and what does it take to qualify it as "pastuerized?"

My search through the archives and googling and yahooing just produced advertisements for health food stores and a couple of porn sites.  Perhaps you can help me gain some clarity.

My understanding that raw means totally unheated.  However, if I were to introduce you to a humid afternoon in Southeast Missouri during the month of August, I might debate the "unheated" element of the honey in that hive.

To my understanding, pastuerized means the honey was heated to 160 degrees F but I have no indication on length of the heating, the process, etc.  Most "grocerer's tanks" heat the honey to 150 degrees F.  Does this process qualify it as pastuerized?  It's no longer "raw" in my book, but I'm looking for other opinions.

And then what does this say about granulated honey that is warmed, slowly, with a temperature of say, 105 degrees?  Does this qualify as "raw?"

Grant
Jackson, MO