From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 23:49:15 -0600
Hello Mike & All,

> I'm thinking a lot of beekeepers harvest as much honey as they can and get
> a lot higher price for that honey than the cost of the feed needed later
> on to carry the bees over the winter.
> However, I may be wrong on this.

You are not wrong but another point needs made. keeping large amounts of
stored honey on migratory hives does not make sense. Even the way we do
things at times we have to leave from one to four stacks of 16 hives off a
load to California because of weight. When sending singles to almonds out of
Georgia the hives are made up a day or two before shipping. Bees and
emerging brood and only enough feed for about two weeks to hold the bees
till placed in almonds. 700 hives to a semi load.

Every year is different and every pollination is different. Feeding in
California *if* the almond bloom is held up is far better in out of states
beeks minds than sending 80 pounds of honey a box along with the bees.

Migratory hives are only fed when needed. 8 frames of stored honey serves no
purpose. Despite what many say its the slow feed coming in ( and fresh
pollen) which cause the sleeping winter hive to wake up. What good is a hive
in almonds if it has no room to place pollen and nectar?

bob