From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 02:39:00 EST
It appears that the Nebraska talk is summarized in this on-line  paper:

_http://groups.google.com/group/spectre_event_horizon_group/browse_thread/thre
ad/28447b5ef2a04598_
(http://groups.google.com/group/spectre_event_horizon_group/browse_thread/thread/28447b5ef2a04598)

At the risk of starting a feud, a word of caution, the comments about
chalkbrood fungus preventing EFB; stonebrood fungus preventing Nosema need to  be
considered in the context of the cited references.

Like others, I've seen chalkbrood and EFB in hives at the same time; so  that
statement just doesn't hold up to field observations.

The paper by Martha Gilliam  that is cited is a good start to  understanding
the microbiology inside a hive.  I accept Martha as an  expert and her paper
was peer-reviewed.  She does talk about the complexity  of the microbiological
community inside a hive.  As such, this is a good  reference to the topic.

But the next three references to support these two claims are  Wiki pages and
on-line sources, where authorship is unknown.

However, in this case, the cited Wiki page correctly states that  fumadil is
derived from an Aspergillus fungus and that this drug is  used to treat
Nosema.  Its also correct in stating that stonebrood is  associated with several
species of Aspergillus fungus.

But, the Wiki page does not say that Stonebrood prevents Nosema.

That's a jump in logic that isn't supported by the statements in the
'citation', and we don't even know whether the author of the  'cited' Wiki source is
an authority (although in this case I'd more or  less agree with the Wiki
statements).

Don't get me wrong, we still don't understand all of the interactions at  the
microbiology level.  For example, there are studies that show that  the
bacteria Wolbachia alters the reproductive viability of its hosts, and may  have
other affects and interactions.

My objection is to sweeping generalizations based on 'citations' to unknown
authors and misquoting of references.

Jerry

**************Finally, one site has it all: your friends, your email, your
favorite sites. Try the NEW AOL.com.