From:
John Caldeira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2011 23:43:05 -0700
> You may find the following study of interest:
> http://pub.epsilon.slu.se/1053/1/Avhandling.pdf

The reference link is helpful.  The shake method, especially.  Thank you.

The problem we have in Fiji is that we are a very small country, witht less than
1 million people and lacking in technical expertise in many areas.
Our well-intentioned Department of Agriculture is requiring the destruction of
hives that appear perfectly healthy, but show up positive on some laboratory
test they are doing on brood comb samples.  It is causing beekeepers to lose
their livelihoods.

It is my understanding that bees can tolerate some low level of the spores, and
have heard hearsay (Wikipedia) that some spores are in almost every hive.

ANY EVIDENCE THAT MOST HIVES HAVE SOME AFB SPORES, OR THAT BEES CAN TOLERATE A
LOW LEVEL, WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.  I came up with little by Googling.
You'd be a big help in saving a small country's beekeeping industry (so small
that we are still importing).

Thanks,
John
Rakiraki, Fiji Islands